Thursday, January 01, 2009

Reflections of 2008

I have had better years, but then again, I have experienced far worse.

In 2008, there were weddings, divorces, and whispers of new additions. There were family members who endured operations, tests and pain. There were deaths and funerals to attend, but thankfully, none were in my immediate family realm.

Financial woe flapped it's filthy wings around my head and lit on my shoulder just when the economy began spiraling downward.

Politically, there is much change acoming and I am just happy that the mudslinging and drudgery of the campaign is finally over. I don't think I could have stood much more of the press and the political advertisements/slander.

The music of 2008 left a lot to be desired in my book, but again so did the movies. However, I personally had a great year with the book publishing companies considering Dean's two newest releases and the "Twilight" (Stephenie Meyer) & "Dead" (Charlaine Harris) series.

Work is work, but I am ever so thankful to have a great job. I am truly blessed.

I am still very much in love with my husband as we celebrated our 5th anniversary in early December.

We had a bountiful spring harvest of fruits and veggies. God has blessed Eddie with a mighty green thumb.

My pets (dogs and chickens) are doing well and thriving, as well as the chipmunks, lizards, and snakes down here in the swamp.

The animosity with our neighbors (although they are not considered neighborly) appears to have tapered off some and I pray for peace and stability here in my neck of the woods.

I miss my parents everyday and wish I still had them here with me, but they are far better off where they are and I would be much better off to wish myself there with them than wish them back here.

The weight-loss surgery worked and I currently have lost 115 pounds, as I now weigh 163. I only have 8 more pounds to go to reach my goal. I no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure, and/or hypothyroidism. My latest blood sugar testing was 3.5. Outstanding!

It was strange for me to see my young niece bring a boyfriend to the holiday gathering this Christmas and at the same time watch my daughter sauntering around the house doing the pregnancy waddle right before my very eyes, expecting my soon to be grandson, Shawn.

I told you I tend to ramble and my thoughts are all a jumble and randomly scattered about.

What will 2009 have in store for me? I can't wait to see.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Thank you for your kind words. I am not sure what the new year has in store for me quite yet but I know it will include quite a few trips to Goodwill in the very near future. I think I am going to start focusing on myself a bit more.

Mariah said...

Hey, I've been so busy, trying to catch up. Beautiful post by the way. Your daughter is pregnant and my daughter is late with her period... I'm freaking out. Happy New Year to you in spite of it all

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Sounds like a great year, in all. I hope 2009 treats you well!

renee said...

Debbie, I am so proud of you. 3.5 is fantastic. I was jumping up and down at 5.0. You are indeed my inspiration to take the remaining weight off. Now if I could just control my stress.