Monday, July 14, 2008

Words of Dean Koontz...

I find his words fascinating. I can't put his books down once I start.

Koontz wrote in Odd Hours (page 105), "In the movies, when a character in a pitch-black place strikes a match and finds himself face to face with someone or something that is grinning at him, the someone or something is going to tear off his head.

Of course, movies bear virtually no resemblance to real life, not even the kind that pile up awards. In movies, the world is either full of fantastic adventure and exhilarating heroism--or it's a place so bleak, so cruel, so full of treachery and vicious competition and hopelessness that you want to kill yourself halfway through a box of Reese's miniature peanut-butter cups.

There's no middle ground in modern movies; you either save a kingdom and marry a princess or you are shot to death by assassins hired by the evil corporation that you are trying to bring to justice in the courtroom of a corrupt judge."

Uh-oh, I just realized I am halfway through my miniature peanut-butter cups. Not really, but I wanted to create a little suspense in your lives. Have a peanut-butter cup kind of day. Not in the Koontz-movie version, but in a sweet, gooey, treat-filled kind of way.

No comments: