Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beware The Ides of March

The Ides of March is the name of the date 15 March in the Roman calendar. The term ides was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July and October, and the 13th day of the other eight months. In Roman times, the Ides of March was a festive day dedicated to the god Mars and a military parade was usually held.

In modern times, the term Ides of March is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44 BC, the story of which was famously dramatised in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar. The term has come to be used as a metaphor for impending doom.


I have another use for the term Ides of March, for that is the day that my husband and I conceived Shannon 24 years ago. I was having trouble conceiving and had to use a temperature chart and take fertility meds and was well aware of the exact date she was conceived. My pregnancy wasn't confirmed by the doctor until April 6th, but I knew way before then.

I think it would be cute if Shawn was born on this date because of the connection, but if it is not meant to be, maybe he could be born on Tuesday which is St. Patty's day.

Shannon I want you to remember that I recommended you name Shawn (Sean Patrick), but whatever. If he's born Tuesday the 17th, I might just have to call him Patrick. LOL

I am still patiently (but excitedly anxiously) awaiting the birth of my first grandchild.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that name...Sean Patrick...and I would have to call him Patrick...good Irish name...and so we wait Debs...let me know...I am praying for Shannon and for Shawn