Monday, December 19, 2005

Extended Family Christmas Get-Together

I traveled to Birmingham on Friday morning to have lunch with some friends from my old office and visit with them before heading to my brother's house that evening. Susan, Ellen, and I ate lunch at O'Charley's where my daughter is a server. We had a very nice lunch and I was able to see Shannon as well. Ellen went back to work and Susan and I headed all over town doing some Christmas shopping.

Susan brought me back to my truck around four in the afternoon because she had a Christmas party to go to that evening and I headed for Don's. The minute I got to Don's we had to go pick his wife up from work. We came back home and had dinner and then Brenda and I went to Publix to pick up more food stuff for the Christmas party on Saturday night.

I didn't sleep very good and was up early the following morning. I made a batch of fudge with nuts that turned out perfect without even having to use a candy thermometer. So I was in high spirits. Brenda and I made sausage balls, a chicken ball, potato salad, baked beans, and a ham. She had a friend of hers make a fried turkey. The second batch of fudge I tried to make without nuts didn't turn out so good, it was more like "spoon" fudge, did not harden. I guess I got to impatient.

I then took Sarah to meet my other brother and his family at Ruby Tuesday's to celebrate my niece, Kaitlyn's 10th birthday. After lunch, they all went to see Chicken Little and I went back to my brother's house. Brenda and I finished preparing everything for the party that evening.

Everyone showed up on time and we had a feast of food. After eating we let the kids open their presents and play for a while so we could let our food digest before the "Dirty Santa" game began. If you have ever been around my family when we play "Dirty Santa," just suffice it to say things can get rough and hairy. We don't mind stealing each other's ornaments. The "hot" items this year was a Star Wars R2D2, a translucent sequin ball, and a Seraphim angel ornament. Honorable mention has to be given to the fuzzy pink flamingo with ruby slippers, but we decided not to take it away from my niece Lauryn when she started squawling her eyes out.

I spend Saturday night surrounded by my family, literally. My brother Chris and his wife and three kids stayed at Don's with me, Don, Brenda, and Sarah. I slept on the couch and didn't fare none the better than I did on Friday night.

Chris and his family left early Sunday to go to church and my brother Don took the day off from work to spend with me. We went to Jim and Nick's to eat lunch and then went to visit my mother's grave. Afterward I drove home. I was glad to be home and see Eddie.

I had a wonderful Christmas with my family and Christmas is not even here yet.

Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as Santa Claus...

No comments: